Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing your users

From: Daniel Robert Adinolfi <dra1 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 15:24:55 +0000

On Feb 18, 2015, at 10:06 AM, "Hillhouse, Bob (Bob)" <bob () UTK EDU> wrote:

We are interested in this as well. I’ve considered a “Phish-Bowl” website where I post real examples of phishing
emails that we’ve received as well as images of some of the standard bank or delivery service emails. It is one of
the most prevalent forms of unintentional insider misuse we see.

In addition to a "Phish Bowl", consider also having a site that lists verified communications from your administration,
HR, etc.  (This site should be locked down to your community, so the bad guys don't use the samples there for more
sophisticated spear phishing.)  We have such a site so people can check on an official-looking message before reporting
it (erroneously) as a phish.  The hard part is training your administrators to send messages to your office ahead of
time to add legit messages before they get sent.

(Once these two components are in place, the truly hardest part is training folks to check those sites before
inundating your support email queues with "I saw this phish and I wanted to share it with you and I tried to send it
but your mail system blocked it so how can I report this phish if you won't let it get sent".)

-Dan

Daniel Adinolfi, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer, IT Security Office
Cornell University - Office of the CIO
email: dra1 () cornell edu  phone: 607-255-7657