Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Executive IT Security Report

From: Wendy Wallman <wwallman () ROCHESTER RR COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 12:22:58 -0500

Vendor created PowerPoint template for "having the security conversation with your board" may be of help so you don't
have to start from scratch

http://www.skyhighnetworks.com/offers/tp-cloud-usage-for-board/

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 4, 2015, at 11:34 AM, Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU> wrote:

I don’t have a great dashboard or template for you, but I’ll kick in my two cents on this type of reporting.

1.       Any metric must somehow be a meaningful representation of reducing some aspect of institutional risk.  If
you can’t articulate how a metric makes a meaningful impact to institutional risk in a realistic way (no FUD,
security theater, etc.) then don’t include it.
2.       Any metric must be something within either your direct control or influence
a.       Never report on things that are mostly random number like “number of attacks” – such things ebb and flow and
don’t demonstration your team/program’s effectiveness.  While some security reports talk about metrics like “time to
detect an incident”, such a metric is a hybrid factor combining security monitoring and the sophistication of the
attackers.  If all attacks were equal, it’s a measure of your security program, but they aren’t.
b.      What is a metric that trends in a particular direction when your program/team is successful?  Do they have
any projects/initiatives that have a good metric for progress towards a goal?
                                                               i.      Percentage of systems that meet a baseline
security standard (within a realistic scope – maybe central IT servers or all servers)
                                                             ii.      Percentage of laptops with whole disk encryption
                                                            iii.      Percentage of systems/servers participating in
X security effort (DLP, authenticated vulnerability scans, centralized logging, etc.)
                                                           iv.      Number of PII records stored in the ERP system
(if you have a goal of risk reduction via data reduction)
                                                             v.      Percentage of high/critical vulnerabilities
patched or mitigated within your standard for patch window (may require fairly sophisticated config
monitoring/management to measure accurately).

Keep the list of metrics short and ensure each has a 2-3 sentence description of how it reflects institutional risk
reduction in a tangible and realistic way.  Each should also note a goal level to achieve or maintain.

Brad Judy