Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Multiple .edu sites reportedly victims of db theft

From: John Stauffacher <john () CAFFEINATEDNETWORKS COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 14:26:46 -0800

All,

John Ladwig pointed out to me an interesting point -- it seems that this
person is almost exclusively using SQLMap - at least in their previous
attempts.

SQLMap by default has a pretty standard user-agent you can filter on:

sqlmap/$VERSION (http://sqlmap.org)

Where $VERSION is a string...like "1.0-dev-5920d16" . It also comes
pre-packaged with a host of 'random' user agents that it can emulate:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sqlmapproject/sqlmap/master/txt/user-agents.txt

About 90% of the time the first request sqlmap will make is to
$URL/?UPnC=$PAYLOAD

So creating an IDS rule, or scanning your access logs for a combination of
user agent and a specific request will at least narrow down the people who
are actively scanning your sites with the tool.

There is also a thought that this person may be using Tor to mask the
source of the attack -- there is a list of Tor exit nodes available here:
https://www.dan.me.uk/torlist/  that is updated every 30 mins, probably a
good thing to integrate into your IDS if you haven't already. Scanning your
access logs for known Tor ips would probably also give you an idea how much
traffic you receive from the Tor network -- this may be considerably
smaller than regular internet traffic.

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 12:16 PM, John Stauffacher <