Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI - Third party vendors

From: Robert Lau <Robert.Lau () USC EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 17:51:56 +0000

When there is a breach…  in addition to the negative publicity, you will lose the trust of your students, faculty and
staff because as Peter said, they bought their coffee at your university. Granted, our customers are more captive than
Target’s, but the blowback is just as painful. They will ask questions like “You knew that vendor wasn’t safe but yet
you still let us buy from them?” Deflection of responsibility, however legally sound, will not suffice.

Even if there are no lawsuits, even if Mastercard does not demand an audit, the reputation of all involved (netadmin,
security, legal, etc.) is tarnished.

We put in a lot of effort to ensure that 3rd party vendors, even ones that are here for only a few hours, are properly
segmented and secured if they use our network. Cellular or POTS is preferred.

-robert