Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI - Third party vendors

From: Mike Chapple <mchapple () ND EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:24:35 -0400

Blake,

Respectfully, I disagree with the conclusion that you've reached.

The important point is that PCI DSS is a contractual obligation, not a law.
 The only way that you can become subject to a contractual obligation is to
voluntarily accept it by signing a contract.  If it were true that "Any
entity that processes, stores, or transmits CHD must comply with the
standard," it would be forcing entities who are not a party to the contract
(merchant agreement) to comply with the terms of that agreement.

Under this logic, I could take a file of credit card numbers and stick it
in Dropbox and that would make Dropbox a service provider subject to PCI
DSS.  That is not the case, as Dropbox never agreed to handle credit card
information for me under the PCI DSS standard.

That said, it is clearly the responsibility of the merchant to only use
service providers who agree to comply with PCI DSS.  The contracts they
have with those service providers should include language to that effect,
thereby transferring some compliance obligations.  Absent that language, it
is the responsibility of the merchant to not use that particular service to
transmit unencrypted CHD.

Just my two cents.  I'm not a lawyer :)

Mike