Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Risk analysis And Vendor Management

From: Chuck Kesler <chuck.kesler () DUKE EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 19:14:02 +0000

(Not quite sure what happened to the formatting in my previous reply, so trying again in hopes that this is more
readable...)

Likewise, at Duke Medicine we go through a due diligence process to understand the IT-related risks of doing business
with a Business Associate or other vendor, which then dictates what security controls we document as part of a data
security agreement exhibit in our contracts. In cases where sensitive data is going to be stored, processed, or
transmitted in a material fashion by the vendor, one of those controls is that the vendor is required to have a third
party security audit against an accepted industry standard (e.g. SSAE-16 SOC 2, ISO 27001/27002, NIST 800-53, HITRUST
CSF) conducted on an annual basis. We also reserve the right to have the vendor share the results of the audit with us,
at minimum in the form of an engagement letter from the auditor that summarizes their methodology and findings.​

Chuck

Chuck Kesler, MBA, CISSP, CISM, PMP

Chief Information Security Officer

Duke Medicine

Email: chuck.kesler () dm duke edu<mailto:chuck.kesler () dm duke edu>

Office: 919-668-0518