Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: deep freeze needs alittle thawing

From: Shawn Shirley <sshirley () FERRUM EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:03:38 -0400

We use Deep Freeze on lab computers.  Deep Freeze has a feature, I believe
it is called Maintenance Mode, that allows for the thawing of the computer
on a schedule.  Currently our lab computers thaw at 3 am for a 2 hour period
for the purpose of applying updates.  I believe Maintenance Mode prevents
interaction with the computer during the time period that computer is
thawed.  The caveat is if the computer is off at the designated time for
maintenance mode then the computer will enter maintenance mode upon booting
up.

Shawn Shirley

Security\Privacy Administrator

Ferrum College