Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing education rollout

From: Paul Chauvet <chauvetp () NEWPALTZ EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 10:25:28 -0400

Hello Peter,

We've been doing phishing simulations as part of our security training program for the past couple years. There are a
few things that we've done here which have helped it be a great success with VERY few complaints.

    1. We made sure to get the buy-in of our senior leadership (President, Provost and other VPs) before-hand. They
made sure to attend (and be seen to attend) our in-person training sessions and are also included in the phishing
simulations. By doing so, they are showing the importance of it to the college and that there is no one 'above' the
training.
    2. We make sure to communicate that anyone can fall for these without appropriate training and that users should
not see it as a personal failing to fall for such a message but treat it as a teachable moment.
    3. We've used positive reinforcement to thank users who consistently not only do not fall for phishing simulations
(real or simulated) but also report such messages. We occasionally send messages to these people thanking them for
their contributions to making the sensitive information of the college safer.
    4. When an occasional faculty member becomes angry and thinks that we are trying to trick them, we're honest with
them. Yes - to some extent we are, but the criminals are doing so constantly. We are working not only to protect the
college's data, but protect individuals personal data as well.

The push back we've gotten has rarely been from our phishing simulations but from the interactive online training we
require. There have been complaints that they just don't have enough time, that it is 'beneath' them, or that they
would never fall for such. Usually a phone call with these people is enough to convince them of the importance of the
training. Failing that, sending a few targeted spear phishing simulations to them either convinces me that they really
are competent, or convinces them that perhaps they are not as invulnerable as they think.

Paul Chauvet
Information Security Officer
State University of New York at New Paltz

Phone: (845) 257-3828
chauvetp () newpaltz edu