Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password expiration - was Re: [SECURITY] Security Awareness Programs

From: Von Welch <von () VONWELCH COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 15:22:38 -0400

#As an aside, what I think you're getting at here is the problem we're
#mainly no longer authenticating users, we're authenticating devices
#authorized by users.

My concern is that passwords
are a fundamentally poor solution for that requirement.

+1

If you really want to do device auth, I think you can go round and round
the mulberry bush a few times, but I think eventually you'll end up
with device PKI, not passwords (but I've certainly been wrong before)

The contender seems to be shared nonces of some sort.

This is also emerging for things that need to authenticate without human intervention when MFA is in play (e.g. Google
Application Passwords).

Von