Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing, compromised account and SPAM

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 15:03:31 +0000

I'll disagree with Pete about the value of a 99% success rate.The "rule of thumb" of a 10% gullibility rate of
untrained populations suggested that a 1% gullibility rate is a significant improvement.  Just ask your email admin and
support staff if they would appreciate a 90% reduction in the time they spend on recovery from hosting phish attacks.

In the data I see here from following the phish problem closely, I note that some people are on the spammers lists and
some aren't.  Once you train an actual recipient to be skeptical, either by victimhood or by awareness, they will have
a much greater than 99% chance of rejecting the subsequent phishes they receive.

I've reported 8 different phish links received here so far this morning.

Bob Bayn      SER 301      (435)797-2396    IT Security Team
Office of Information Technology,         Utah State University
    Do you know the "Skeptical Hover Technique" and
    how to tell where a web link really goes?  See:
    https://it.usu.edu/computer-security/computer-security-threats/articleID=23737