Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing, compromised account and SPAM

From: "Frahm, Eric J Jr." <efrahm () ILLINOIS EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 01:43:00 +0000

We also use Proofpoint for protection, and due to a serious cluster of compromised accounts last year have done a
campus test and gotten approval to implement the URL rewrite product (Targeted Attack Protection).  One feature I am
very excited about in that URL rewrite is the report of users who clicked on the link.  So even the risks that occur in
those few hours before the link begins getting blocked can be responded to proactively, as JR points out, by reaching
out to affected users and resetting accounts.

In our case last year, this would have gone a long way toward resolving the blacklisting early.  We did not have a
handle on how many and which accounts were compromised, so it took much too long to weed out the compromised accounts
and truly stop the spam floods, so we could get off the blacklists.  This product will give us some tracking of likely
compromises before they are being abused.

- a different Eric