Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: heads up... ebay compromise

From: H Morrow Long <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 10:00:13 -0400

That press release / advance notice looks fairly definitive.

EBay may have struggled with just how to communicate 'Your password is not
actually compromised as far as we know because it was encrypted (or was it
cryptographically hashed?) but we want you to change your password anyway
because intruders were able to break into our database of encrypted
passwords.  Note, your are safe as far as we know -- but you should change
your password now anyway.'

Particularly when 112 million accounts are involved.

Morrow