Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password change procedures

From: Quentin L McCallum <mccalluq () LCC EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 18:43:43 +0000

We built our own. We control the security questions. The user "claims" their account; sets up either a non-LCC email or
a set of security questions. The question/answer is weighted so if the person selects a question easy to found the
weight is low. They are prompted for more questions. "Good" security questions mean less number of question/answer.

One nice feature that the team built in was a password strength calculator. Goes from red over to green as the person
exceeds our minimums.

Thanks,
Quentin L. McCallum, CISSP, ITIL-F, GCFE
Information Security Analyst
Lansing Community College
517-267-5014