Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password change procedures

From: David Curry <david.curry () NEWSCHOOL EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 14:05:43 -0400

We gave up on security questions. People forget the answers to them, it's
hard to get ones that are meaningful yet not impolite or intrusive across
cultures (we have a large international student population), the answers
are often pretty predictable (there are a couple of studies on this), etc.

Instead we ask the user to provide student identification number, date of
birth, and, if they have ever gotten a paycheck from us, the last four
digits of their SSN/TIN. This has worked well for us, and we use the same
process (the same site, in fact) to have new students set their first
password (we no longer send them one).

It's not perfect, but in practice it has worked well for us.

--Dave

--

*DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP* • DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY

*THE NEW SCHOOL* • 55 W. 13TH STREET • NEW YORK, NY 10011

+1 212 229-5300 x4728 • david.curry () newschool edu