Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password change *recommended* -- RESULTS?

From: Roger A Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:49:24 +0000

Multi factor...

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Williams, Charles
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:46 AM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Password change *recommended* -- RESULTS?

The really difficult part is the training of people not to respond to the
phishing attacks.  The attacks rely on our human gullibility and are becoming
more sophisticated in their approach.  Even if we do a really good job of
education and get the response rate down to 0.01%, that's 1 out of 10,000,
that one response can cause havoc.

I'm not saying the education is not useful or a good idea.  I am saying that
perfect protection from phishing seems to be impossible.

--Randy

Charles R. Williams
IT Consultant
Benedictine University