Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password change *recommended* -- RESULTS?

From: "McClenon, Brady" <Brady.McClenon () ONEONTA EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:18:36 +0000

Thanks, Joe.  I agree that MFA is the way to go, but with many colleges depending on vendor supplied software MFA
becomes more difficult.  Does the service support MFA, and if so which solution?  SSO would make this easier, but SSO
has the same set of issues.  Some support CAS, some support SAML, some ADFS, etc...  It seems that until SSO and MFA
standards are achieved some are overwhelmed with the need to support 2-3-4 solutions to the same problem.

I follow some of your reasons outlined for password changes, and again, thanks.  I will point out that the statements
"Periodic Password Changes Limit The Window for Brute Force Attacks" and "If you do change your password, the attacker
will need to restart their cracking effort because cracking your old password typically won't help the attacker deduce
your new password" aren't entirely true.  The attacker would only need to restart if your new password was one he/she
already tried prior to the change.  The window may not change at all, and the probability that the change helped
protect the password can be anywhere between 0-100% depending on where the attacker was in his list when the password
was changed.   So while there is some value against brute force the value seems somewhat undeterminable.