Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remaining XP Machines

From: Cheryl O'Dell <cherylo () UNL EDU>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 00:10:12 +0000

Hello,

We too have been identifying, notifying, and working with users with Windows
XP machines still in service.  We've made good progress, but have several
exceptions due to being tied to special instruments and old software.  We
are moving them off of the network.  Our administration made the
determination to not let Windows XP machines login to our SAP instance.  As
of today, we don't have any plans to block from our network - but have
warned users if they continue to use Windows XP and (when) we see bad
traffic, we will then have to block it.  I'm focusing on telling the users
that they need to worry about being able to use their Windows XP machine
after April 8, not because of our security team, but because their
data/machine/service will be at risk and if/when malware is introduced, they
won't be able to use it anyway.

Cheryl O'Dell, CISSP

Sr. Information Security Analyst

University of Nebraska/Lincoln

126 501 Building, 68588-0203

(402) 472-7851

 <mailto:cherylo () unl edu> cherylo () unl edu

Information Technology Services

Reliable. Resourceful. Relevant.