Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

2014 Omnibus Appropriations Act & NIH funding

From: Joshua Beeman <jbeeman () ISC UPENN EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 16:01:52 +0000

Hi,

I received an email recently from a grants administrator asking whether or
not we had a filter in place to block pornography.  Her question was
prompted by a new provision in the 2014 Omnibus Appropriations Act, which
(as I understand it) includes NIH funding.  The provision states:

"None of the funds made available in this Act may be used to maintain or
establish a computer network unless such network blocks the viewing,
downloading, and exchanging of pornography."

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20140113/CPRT-113-HPRT-RU00-h3547-hamdt
2samdt_xml.pdf

Penn does not block pornography at the border, because of the diverse
nature of research at Penn, and the problems with defining pornography.
That said, local network segments/subnets may have network security
devices (e.g., next generation firewalls, web proxy's, etc.) that can
perform this function.

Is anyone aware of and/or reviewing this new provision in relation to
grants and grant applications?  If so, any thoughts, suggestions,
comments?

Thanks, as always, for any input.

Sincerely,
Josh