Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Password Reset Policy?

From: Russ Leathe <Russ.Leathe () GORDON EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 19:25:08 +0000

We recently made everyone change their password (every 6 months).  It just so happened it fell on semester break
(Christmas Break).  We had a large quantity of foreign students who did not have Internet Access and thus could not use
our password reset page. We did  our best to identify the student - but I'm fearful of resetting someones password to a
default and not have them be who they say they are (identity fraud). Do you have a password reset policy in place?   I
was going to ask for their challenge and response question and the last four digits of their ss number.  I would like
the to identify themselves before...

By going to a major city, they have cell coverage and can  check their email on their smartphone,  but resetting their
email can only be done via the portal.

Any help would be welcome!

Russ Leathe
InfoSec