Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Anyone using Sumuri Paladin as a part of their security strategy for investigations?

From: "James H. Moore" <jhmiso () RIT EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 21:31:15 +0000

We were guided to Sumuri Paladin several months ago, and have been very pleased.  It mounts disks well read only, as
well as, external drives for making forensic images.  I have even used it in an old PC in my lab, which had removable
drive bays connected to SATA II connections, so that I didn't need a write blocker but could image at SATA speeds,
rather than Firewire 800 or USB speeds.  But, when a system needs to be left in place, or the hard drive needs to be
left in place, imaging to an encrypted USB hard drive or at times, over the network, is handy.  I like that it can boot
both Intel Pcs and most Intel Macs.

When I went to their website, it sounds like they are coming out an Enterprise product which doesn't restrict their
agent.  And a Mac forensic product.  I like this, I will be looking forward to what these products are like.  They seem
to be a forensics vendor with vision.  Also from their training catalog, they seem to be forensics first, I.e. They
don't just offer training on their own products.

Jim
- - - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM, ITIL Foundations
Senior Information Security Forensic Investigator
Rochester Institute of Technology
151 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
(585) 475-5406 (office)
(585) 255-0809 (Cell - Incident Reporting & Emergencies)
(585) 475-7920 (fax)

The first duty of the university is to teach wisdom, not a trade; character, not technicalities.  We want a lot of
engineers in the modern world, but we do not want a world of engineers.  Winston Churchill, Nov 18, 1948

Quick question … There is usually an inverse relationship between the perceived length of questions and their real
answers.  That is often due to the fact that the person answering usually has to first overcome the idea that the
system providing the context for the question is simple.  Note: this observation has analogs in the areas of simple
solutions, and low hanging fruit.  Jim Moore 2013

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any
copies of this information