Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Chromecast devices?

From: Joe St Sauver <joe () OREGON UOREGON EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 10:11:50 -0700

Joshua commented:

#Chromecast a cheap device that plugs into your TV and allow you to stream
#content from your computer or mobile device to your TV.  We have students
#who have purchased these devices.
#
#My concern is that as soon as you plug a Chromecast device into your TV,
#anyone who has the Chromecast software (free download) can play content
#on your TV (even harassing content or porn).

I was given one of these as a gift by a family member. (Thanks, son!)

The model obviously expects you to be operating in a closed personal
WiFi network, e.g., Ye Olde Family WiFi Private Network.

That "residential deployment model" expects that if Junior or Sissy
injects unacceptable content onto the family Chromecast, "surprising"
the family, Mom or Dad will detect the miscreant involved and discipline
them, likely by confiscating their system or revoking their access to
the family network until that pesron has Gotten the Message (as my
long departed parents used to describe it, way back when).

Clearly this is not a terrific access control model if you've got
500 random people connected to an unsegmented ResHall wireless
network, and of course, most schools aren't very happy if students
attempt to "deal with the issue" by running their own private WiFi
network, subordinate to their institutional connections, either.

A more sophisticated device pairing and authentication model is
obviously needed (but hey, we're talking a $35 device, right?)

I will also add that I'd love to see more specific release notes.
For example, mid September, Chromecast devices got build 13300.
That build included "Security fixes" (see
http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2013/09/chromecast-update.html ),
but, unfortunately, I've not been able to find any additional information
about what those specific "security fixes" actually involved. Anyone
else know?

Regards,

Joe