Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WildCard Certificates

From: Dexter Caldwell <dexter.caldwell () FURMAN EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 12:37:42 +0000

I've been doing the same thing.  One reason is the complexity in some of the cert replacements.  If you don't do them
often enough, you can actually spend a lot of time figuring out the process for quirky applics.  Plus you limit the
risk.  It's not hard fast rule for us though.   I use a longer cert if there is a compelling reason to do so.  In some
cases, I do use 1 year certs as well.  Wildcard certs may need a longer timeline if you use them a lot of places so
that you have time to deal with all the renewals.

D/C