Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Travel abroad, equipment, etc.

From: "Lorenz, Eva" <evalorenz () UNC EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 16:58:28 +0000

Concerns from departments have become stronger lately and demands for a university policy and memo to faculty are being
requested, but we do not have a policy (yet) to forbid the travel with laptops.

I am probably more paranoid than most having grown up in (what used to be West) Germany and experiencing the enforced
trip to East Berlin as part of high school. That trip automatically excluded a few of my classmates from traveling
through East Germany because their dads were in the military. That being said, I am surprised anyone is taking a work
laptop with anything more than a presentation to a foreign country like China.