Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Travel abroad, equipment, etc.

From: Roger A Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 16:50:25 +0000

FWIW, we were discussing this a few weeks ago.  As an experiment we bought a cheap Android tablet for under a hundred
bucks, and had it configured and ready to go within 15 minutes.  (mail, skype, VPN)  The idea being we could recommend
this as an option, and if the tablet goes missing it's not that big a loss.  We did not enable encryption, but it's an
option.  It's also just a few clicks to reset the device to the factory defaults, so it can be made ready for the next
user.