Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure Web Gateway

From: "King, Ronald A." <raking () NSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:16:46 -0400

Palo Alto Networks' firewalls have three layers that can be used for http.
SSL decryption capabilities can be added.  I believe all are at an
additional cost:

*         Threat protection: Antivirus, anti-spyware and vulnerability
protection

*         URL filtering to include malware and phishing categories.

*         Wildfire: Similar to Fireeye used for uploading exe files into a
virtual environment to evaluate for malicious activity.  PDFs are coming
soon.

If the firewall permits it, then the IPS usually takes action.

While we do not have specific statistics, we see that we have better
visibility and thus, better responses to threats.

Now if we can get users to stop using Dropbox to share their malware, we
would be in good shape.

Got a Phish (email)? Forward it to  <mailto:abuse () nsu edu> abuse () nsu edu!

Ronald King

Security Engineer

Norfolk State University

Marie V. McDemmond Center for Applied Research

Suite 401

555 Park Ave.

Norfolk, Virginia  23504

Phone:  757-823-3918

Fax: 757-823-2128

Email:  <mailto:raking () nsu edu> raking () nsu edu

 <http://security.nsu.edu> http://security.nsu.edu