Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: China conference scam

From: Id 81046 <agerhard () USP BR>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:14:07 -0300

http://www.oceanographerschoice.com/2010/09/phishy-conference/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/health/for-scientists-an-exploding-world-of-pseudo-academia.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=todayspaper

Andre Gerhard

----- Mensagem original -----
De: "Andrea Di Fabio" <adifabio () NSU EDU>
Para: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 22 de Agosto de 2013 10:03:45
Assunto: [SECURITY] China conference scam

I apologize for cross posting, but in the interest of information
sharing and to ensure the safety of those who may be affected, we
though it prudent to send this.

We received a call from our one of our professors earlier today. She
detailed how she received an email inviting her to speak at a
conference in China. She checked the site that accompanied the
message and found that she knew several of the speakers listed. The
site looks like any other conference web site. It is detailed and
organized with care. The email was well written, both professionally
and grammatically.

She went ahead and approached her department and received approval to
be sponsored for the trip. She contacted “emma at wcmfcon . com” and
was scheduled for a session. During the process of getting
everything setup and corresponding with “Emma” in China, she emailed
some of those she knew that where scheduled to speak. She found that
they were not scheduled nor had any idea of the conference. She
decided to notify us to let us know and obviously declined to the
speaking engagement.

See attached document for more details on this scam.