Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

[SECURITY]

From: "Eric C. Lukens" <eric.lukens () UNI EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 08:36:44 -0500

Along the same lines, I was wondering why the AUP got special
recognition above many of the other policies. Shouldn't people have to
acknowledge all the policies or at least all that are applicable to
them? Such as the discrimination, harassment, procurements, conflict of
interest, fire safety, injury reporting, public records, intellectual
property, and so forth. Aren't those just as important?

I know certain people in certain job duties must do annual training and
acknowledgement per various regulations (PCI DSS, HIPAA, Mandatory
Reporting of Child Abuse, etc). But for the typical campus
student/employee/faculty, is there something special about the AUP? Are
abuses of the AUP so rife and common that it requires more education and
enforcement than the other policies, which are also likely just as
ignored or abused? Should they rather be acknowledging the existence of
your entire policy library and given a link to it?

I'm not saying I have the answers to those questions, but I could see
requiring acknowledgment of some policies but not others leading to
other unintended consequences.

-Eric

Berman, Mark wrote:
When I worked in the Massachusetts State University System we were told
by our attorneys that publishing the policy is enough to make people
responsible and that requiring folks to sign off on it just gives them a
potential legal excuse if they *don't* sign.

FWIW.

 - Mark
--
Mark Berman, Chief Information Officer
Siena College

We require an annual password change, and the process requires the
acceptance of our usage policy.

*From:* The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in
to unmask]
<http://listserv.educause.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?LOGON=A3%3Dind1308%26L%3DSECURITY%26E%3Dquoted-printable%26P%3D134667%26B%3D--_000_2C17E27E26DEE641AEECF7583B3CAB1A2581D978evcspmbx1adsnor_%26T%3Dtext%252Fhtml%3B%2520charset%3Dus-ascii>.EDU]
 *On
Behalf Of *Michael J. Kenney