Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: email as directory info

From: "Shalla, Kevin" <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 16:32:50 +0000

For schools that leave the e-mail directory open to students and define it as FERPA non-directory information, isn't
that a FERPA violation (because students aren't university officials with a legitimate education interest)? For those
schools that define e-mail as FERPA directory information but require login to access, can't FOIA requests still get
the data?

Kevin