Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

email as directory info

From: "Rosenthal, Jane E." <jer () KU EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 15:02:36 +0000

Hello all,

I've seen other U's that have the email directory behind the portal
log-in-still allows for collaboration, but is not "public" or open to the
world.  I would love to see this model here-just cuts down on external
crawling of our site and protects the users.

We have 2 things at KU-one a student may choose to restrict their email
address from showing up in the public/online directory if they do that in
the privacy settings.

Second, at KU we have email as directory info, however, our policy states
that email in bulk is not released due to privacy issues.

Further, our state Open Records/Sunshine laws allows us to not provide bulk
listings e.g. name + email of all students if the requesting party is asking
for the listing for purposes of selling goods or property to the list.  So
you might check your state Sunshine Laws if you are a public and see if
there may be an exception to disclosure of this type of info.

Just a couple thoughts.  Has anyone with the information "behind the portal"
experienced issues?

Rock Chalk~

Everyday is a Data Privacy Day

Respect Privacy | Safeguard Data | Enable Trust

@beseKUre

Jane Rosenthal

Director | Privacy Office

Custodian of Public Records

785.864.9528 | Fax 785.864.4463

 <mailto:jer () ku edu> jer () ku edu |  <http://www.privacy.ku.edu/>
www.privacy.ku.edu

Please consider this as a KU business communication and handle according to
policy.  Please consider the environment before printing this note.

Thank you