Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Wired 802.1x

From: John Kaftan <jkaftan () UTICA EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 13:28:52 -0400

Hello:

I have been using 802.1x for a couple of years now on the wireless side and
I am just starting to play with it on the wired side.

I have run into a snag.  I can authenticate with Windows 7 sp1 only if I
save my credentials within the network settings or if my computer is on the
AD domain and I check "Automatically use my Windows logon name and
passoword".

If I plug-in a machine that is not configured in either of the above ways
Windows never prompts me for my credentials.

When I compare packet captures I see that, when it works,  the switch sends
1-2 eap packets initially and then the client responds with an eap packet
and then the switch sends a challenge and so on.

When it doesn't work I see the switch sending an eap packet and the client
just doesn't respond so the process just stops right there.

So far it looks to me like there is a problem with Windows.  I found 7
patches that are associated with the process and applied them all.  Still
no go.

I have tried this on 2 laptops with drastically different hardware (nic
drivers) and get the same result.

On both laptops, 802.1x on wireless works fine.  I get prompted and get on.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John

--