Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Voice mail portals

From: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman () IP-SOLUTIONS NET>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:08:56 -0400

We had to do something similar with a account provisioning system.

The admin functions were moved to a separate vhost and ACLs were used to
deny access.

Here's the deal though. You need to ensure that the client facing
applications has very specific privileges and they are rigorously
enforced. Or that your admin access using a different data storage
mechanism.

Should the client side have vulnerabilities that would allow escalation
to change/add/delete items only a administrator should have access to
then separating the two functions via your F5 is going to have little
effect. SQL injection is the first thing that comes to mind.

HTH.

Cheers,
Harry