Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: EDUCAUSE Statement on Server Breach

From: Mike Porter <mike () UDEL EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 07:20:26 -0500

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Michael Sinatra wrote:

If that is "too hard" and/or the analytics stuff is "too valuable" then
we need to simply accept the risk that our users will get caught in
phishing attacks.  The bad guys have figured out that it is very easy to
mimic our business practices, and they have gotten very good at doing
it.  Unless we change those practices, they will find us to be easy
pickings.

As far as I can tell, PayPal et al have simply priced phishing into
the cost of doing business.  I believe we have to as well because
the bottom line is PR and fundraising types will always insert links
into emails.  They trump any attempt by IT to stop them.

Mike Porter
Systems Programmer V
IT/NSS
Univrrsity of Delaware

-
Mike Porter
PGP Fingerprint: F4 AE E1 9F 67 F7 DA EA  2F D2 37 F3 99 ED D1 C2