Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Information related to the Effectiveness of Security Cameras

From: David Treble <David.Treble () AD UMANITOBA CA>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:12:57 +0000

I had sent this out to the group back in April, but in case new members to the list are interested.  The links below go
to an undergraduate paper written as part of our Criminology field research program.  Before this research was done in
2006, we had about 125 cameras.  We now have approximately 600 on both campuses.  To give you some idea on size and
scope, our downtown campus has 10 Buildings and the main suburban campus has approximately 60 buildings on 580 acres.
We have about 28,000 full-time students.

I broke out the Executive Summary.  The full version is 74 pages incl.  appendices.  It was a scanned hard copy so
sorry for the slight tilt.

University of Manitoba Perspectives of Closed Circuit Television Surveillance:
Findings Concerning Effectiveness and Privacy Based on Survey and Interview Research

http://www.umanitoba.ca/ist/security/media/UofM-Perspectives-CCTV-Surveillance-(Summary).pdf

http://www.umanitoba.ca/ist/security/media/UofM-Perspectives-CCTV-Surveillance-(Full).pdf

Here are our current CCTV policy and procedures.

http://umanitoba.ca/admin/governance/governing_documents/community/closed_circuit_cctv_monitoring_policy.html
http://umanitoba.ca/admin/governance/governing_documents/community/closed_circuit_tv_cctv_monitoring_procedures.html

DT