Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPS Solution

From: "O'Callaghan, Daniel" <Daniel.OCallaghan () SINCLAIR EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 15:58:11 +0000

We've been using PaloAlto since 2008.  We initially piloted in 'tap only' mode in conjunction with our primary
CheckPoint FWs, and gradually turned on blocking rules and controls of the PA as threats were identified.  In 2010, we
completely migrated to using the PA. They provide excellent visibility and control into Internet/network traffic and
permit really granular control over applications and protocols, and they still support 'traditional' FW rules.
The IPS features have significantly helped to reduce compromised machines, and the logging/reporting features are
really useful to identify the few that do get compromised. We have had a couple of false positive threats detected over
the years, but PA support has been easy to work with and very responsive.
We have SIEM, NAC, Mail filtering, etc., but the PA visibility is such that it is where I start most days...power-up
the PC, start the coffee, check the PA traffic and threat monitor.

Dan O'Callaghan
CISO, Sinclair Community College
937.512.2452