Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Revisiting wireless NAC

From: John Kaftan <jkaftan () UTICA EDU>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 13:31:55 -0500

David:

This could be done with the system we have but it would be a long haul for
you to get there.  It would pretty much mean a single vendor for Wireless,
NAC, and SIEM and possibly IPS.  We are there accept for the SIEM.  I
looked at trying to squeeze in a SEIM with our last network upgrade but I
really don't have the resources to manage such a device once installed.
We'd need a dedicated security guy and we don't have that.

The SEIM is not a trivial charge plus adding head count made me steer
clear.

With our vendor (Enterasys) the IPS would send events to SEIM and the SEIM
would tell the NAC to put the person in quarantine.  The NAC would redirect
users to a portal that told them that they were quarantined and why and how
to fix it.

They also have an IPS which I am sure they would prefer that you use but I
think you could pull it off with any IPS that has syslog although
integration would be a challenge.

I have been thinking about the same thing.  For us registration takes 10 +
min the first time because they have to register, get scanned, load the
agent, get scanned again and then go through our network use agreement
etc.  It is very heavy on the front end, i.e. guilty until proven
innocent.  I'd rather let them on and then just spank them if they are
doing something bad.

The other thing we are missing is that we are not catching other
questionable behavior such as folks trying to hack our network.  With this
system we could quarantine someone if they did a Netscan or hit the admin
account on our DCs or anything that we don't like.  It would be amazingly
powerful and secure and cool.  We have a cyber-securty program and I know
the students are playing around on our network with the ethical hacker
skills they are picking up.  I would love to be able to shut them down
immediately when they try that stuff.  It would show them that we really
mean business and are serious security as an institution.