Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS University-Wide Compliance

From: "Lorenz, Eva" <evalorenz () UNC EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 18:29:52 +0000

We have independent questionnaires from all merchants that roll up into university-wide questionnaires (only these end
up being accessible to outside parties). We have split up merchants based on payment gateway and means of accepting
credit cards (POS versus SAQ-D).

Ideally, we try to meet with each merchant individually, but staff resources are an issue. I have 30% time allocated to
compliance in general (not just PCIDSS) and when I was tossed into PCI compliance, I took me a couple of months just to
meet individually with SAQ-D merchants and analyze what we had on campus. Needless to say that cannot be repeated each
year without sacrificing other projects.

I think SAQ-A and SAQ-B can be summarized easier than SAQ-D because our SAQ-D merchants have a multitude of software
solutions, payment gateways etc. So I hope to get additional staff to work with these merchants and do annual visits re
compliance. I would not want to assess SAQ-D compliance without looking at each individual questionnaire from merchants
and reserve time to call and discuss issues. We simply have too much variety of simply answer a university
questionnaire without relying on individual questionnaires. One battle I am fighting is the desire that I provide
answers to specific sections and I have been resistant to do that because I don't want any changes to slide through
because specific sections got pre-filled answers.

For SAQ-B we require analog lines and for SAQ-A we do check on staff regarding whether any credit cards were handled in
person. This creates some uniformity, especially regarding risk.