Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Non-administrator advantages / disadvantages

From: "Shalla, Kevin" <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 21:45:42 +0000

This is a disadvantage from the user's perspective.  They want to do what they want to do when they want to do it.  I
have to provide support and demonstrate value added.  It's difficult to argue this: "I know you're the administrator of
your own computer at home, and it works for you, and nothing gets in your way, but here at work, we have to slow you
down because it's for your own good, and the good of the university."  We've been short of staffing, but still striving
towards automating software updates, but so far the only thing we've mastered is through group policy, which isn't very
reliable.  Further, Adobe and Java are frequently telling users to update, yet when they try, they are thwarted.  Thus,
we have users questioning our value, and saying "Give me the keys, you guys are too slow".

Kevin