Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

3rd party Webform 'Services'

From: Kimberly Heimbrock <heimbrockk () NKU EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 19:04:55 +0000

We recently discovered that departments across campus have used a 3rd party webform site called jotform.com.  A quick
web search will tell you why this 'service' is of concern.  These were shut down immediately and replaced with secure
webforms on our website.

Jotform.com is 'free', and has had some history with Secret Service shutdown and other privacy issues.  The terms and
conditions also makes it very clear that the information may be "used, distributed, reproduced, modified, adapted,
published, translated, and publicly displayed" ....in other words completely insecure and unprotected.  They actually
make a statement that you use it at your own risk and they are not responsible for the data being secure.

My questions to this group are twofold - 1) have you had any success in education and prevention of your faculty/staff
using these types of 3rd party or cloud sites which are 'free', easy and without contract review (and without
security)?  and  2) have any of you had success in finding these types of links on your website?    We are currently
looking just for Jotform.com and Jotform.net.  Anyone know of other 'services' that we may want to look for?

Thanks for your assistance in advance!

Kim Heimbrock
Director, IT Policy and Compliance
Northern Kentucky University