Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Compliance Training for Security Analysts

From: Brad Judy <win-hied () BRADJUDY COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 12:49:29 -0600

I think compliance-specific training is only the right track if you need to
train up your staff in order to be able to make compliance related judgment
calls for your institution (is X a PCI-compliant approach).  If this is the
case, then something like PCI ISA training might be worthwhile (and lend an
official status that your acquiring bank would appreciate).  If that isn't
your goal, then I advise assessing your team's skillset against the security
landscape and targeting deep training on areas of need that relate to
compliance.

For example, does your team need more strength in application security
assessment, database security methods, forensics, incident response
handling, a particular technology you are using (firewall, IDS, DLP, etc)?
Or maybe the best next step is scripting/coding training for building
in-house tools.

I prefer hitting individual topics in depth to an overview approach because
I think the deeper understanding lends a lot to the best application of the
information as well as longer retention of the information.  It takes longer
to build out a breadth of knowledge this way, but it's about career
professional development, not quick turn-around.

Brad Judy