Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Open Source or Freeware File / Free Space Erasers

From: "Eric C. Lukens" <eric.lukens () UNI EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 09:15:18 -0500

Sdelete is good, I've used it to zero free space on VMs so they'll
compact better. It's flaw is that it is only command line, but if only
computer savvy people are using it or it is scripted, then it should
be fine.

Also for those thinking of using Eraser from http://eraser.heidi.ie/,
keep in mind the installer is set by default to wipe *files* with the
35-pass Gutmann wipe. Since that is unnecessarily excessive, it may
make people less likely to use it to wipe a single, larger file. If
deploying it, I'd suggest changing the setting to either single or
3-pass wiping. Eraser is set by default to do just a single pass on
free-space wiping.

Trustworthy research seems to indicate that a single pass wipe is
likely good enough for most of us for magnetic-based hard drives, and
a 3-pass is more than enough. Of course, there are areas of the disk
that will be bypassed even when using a full-disk wipe program like
DBAN, so destruction is still considered superior to wiping. See
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-88/NISTSP800-88_with-errata.pdf
for more info.

Lastly, remember wiping files or free-space on a solid-state drive (or
a hybrid drive) is completely different due to the wear-leveling
algorithms. Wiping using the secure erase command seems to be the only
solution for a successful wipe and that is only applicable to the
models that implemented the command properly.

-Eric