Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Google Maps offering to "map our locations"....concerns??

From: Jeff Moore <mail () JEFFMOORE COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:31:17 -0700

Perhaps we are ultra paranoid with the bomb threats we have had recently
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Bomb-threat-shuts-down-Chemeketa-Community-College-139217864.html?tab=gallery&c=y&img=1
but we are trying to be very protective of our internal structural
information. We even went to the extreme of removing particular maps of our
campus due to the fact that they had shown the internal dimensions of the
buildings. As with anything this information can be used against us and our
concerns are that someone could use this information strategically in a
very negative way. We are looking at it with the view that the internal
layout of the buildings is not a necessity for students and when we do
provide them we will provide partial views that will cover the place of
interest.
Perhaps its a bit extreme but we have swayed toward the conservative side.

Thanks all hope this helps!

Jeff (Tinfoil Hat) Moore

CCC