Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Linux Servers and Antivirus

From: Louis APONTE <Louisaponte () WEBER EDU>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 09:05:03 -0600

Thank you Valdis for writing:

A/V software is a smoke alarm - it tells you something is on fire, and is a
last line of defense. But when it goes off, you're wishing that the combustion
hadn't started in the first place...

I like this analogy,  we also need to mention that "if" your Linux box is dealing in Windows file handling you will be
a carrier.
This is certainly what we see with Mac's. I would urge this carrier aspect be seriously reviewed by anyone, if your box
moves stores or handles Windows files.

la

On 6/22/2012 at 10:07 PM, in message <43718.1340424443 () turing-police cc vt edu>, Valdis Kletnieks