Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Linux Servers and Antivirus

From: Aaron Hockett <AHockett () WARNERPACIFIC EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:04:53 -0700

Jim,

We're running our Ubuntu servers on 10.04.4 LTS.

To your questions:

1.)    No.  Depending on the web application.  Server hardening > AV on
Linux for a majority of deployments.

2.)    We have a license for Symantec AV for Linux we are looking into
using depending on the web application. (IE Attachments, File structure
hosting of files etc.)

3.)    Unknown at this time.

4.)    Again, unknown.

IMO, running some sort of HIDS (we run OSSEC) along with a strong
software firewall for iptables and general stack hardening is the best
remedy for *Nix boxes.

-Aaron Hockett

Warner Pacific College

Network and Web services Engineer