Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: CIPA Questions ? ? ?

From: Valdis Kletnieks <valdis.kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:48:21 -0400

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:25:52 -0000, Carlos Lobato said:
Just to be cautious... Any thoughts on the risks?

Might want to be clear on *whose* risks you're worried about - the risks to
the minors, or the risks to your organization.

 Should we just go ahead
and NOT grant them internet access as there is that possibility of these minors
browsing through inappropriate content?  Please share with me your ideas
and/or practices.

They're gonna get on Facebook and all their other favorite sites no matter what
you do, so the actual threats are almost exactly the same as if they stayed
home.   That fact should enter into your decision.

Might want to ask yourself how all the places that offer free wifi manage to do so
without major CIPA issues.  Also, whether the presence or lack of access will be
a selling point for the summer camp - how much damage does it do to next year's
enrollment if a bunch of kids spend the year saying "Lame, I had to go over to
the Starbuck's to update my facebook".