Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

CIPA Questions ? ? ?

From: Carlos Lobato <clobato () NMSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:25:52 +0000

Good Morning Colleagues,

NMSU is hosting some form of "summer camp" for high school (and perhaps younger) students.  The students will be housed
at NMSU dorms during this time.  They are now asking for Internet access in the dorms.  Of course, NMSU has no
restrictions on the internet.  Would we need to comply with the Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA)?  We receive
federal funding, but based on my reading of CIPA compliance requirements we would not be subject to CIPA.

Just to be cautious... Any thoughts on the risks?  Should we just go ahead and NOT grant them internet access as there
is that possibility of these minors browsing through inappropriate content?  Please share with me your ideas and/or
practices.

Carlos S. Lobato, CISA, CIA
IT Compliance Officer

New Mexico State University
Information and Communication Technologies
MSC 3AT PO Box 30001
Las Cruces, NM  88003-8001

Phone: 575-646-5902
Fax: 575-646-5278

Email: clobato () nmsu edu<mailto:clobato () nmsu edu>