Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Question about the Google Terms of Service

From: "James H. Moore" <jhmiso () RIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:41:10 -0400

Hi Brad,

Can you point me in the direction the terms of service that I want to violate.   I would also appreciate a person at
Google (perhaps the person who did the presentation), because I see Google wanting their cake (for web administrators
to suppress spam so that they can have higher quality searches), and then make it difficult for people to find back
linking and spam on their domains (both technically and through terms of service.)

I have tried various means of getting to the right people within Google to see if web admins and Google could work
together, but haven't gotten anywhere.

I am just trying to keep tabs on RIT from Google (as a lot of back linking will successful evade local detection by
putting in code that only displays the spam when the user agent is googlebot, and the IP is in the right range.

Jim