Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you have a Chinese C-name for your website?

From: Jason Chambers <jchambers () UCLA EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 17:49:34 -0700

On 6/6/12 5:05 PM, Swick, Forrest wrote:
Bob,

Did you ever find out exactly what is going on with this domain. I’ve
read the “Documentation links” provided by Jason but no other
discussion.  SASM3.net is housed in Beijing China and has an interesting
research paper tied to it
(http://www.nossdav.org/2007/files/file-29-session5-paper3-bao.pdf).
Their site for our university seems to be updating just as fast as we do
and they sure do seem to be caching a lot of sites.  McAfee’s
SiteAdvisor says it’s ok  (http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/SASM3.net).

I believe the goal is to provide a number of public measurement servers
for an autonomous system.  Sorta like iperf but by using existing web
servers; that's what makes it novel.

Say you have connectivity problems to 149.142.x.x.  Searching SASM for
that IP will generate a list of public web servers within the same
autonomous system.  You can then review performance for the servers or
run a test on demand to assess end-to-end connectivity.

It does have an interesting appeal to it from an attackers mindset, but
you could cull the same data elsewhere... Shodan or even Google for that
matter.

Just another research project.. ?

Regards,

--Jason