Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Share with us a copy of your Security Cameras Policy

From: randy marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 20:43:04 -0400

See our policy at www.policies.vt.edu/5617.pdf.

-Randy Marchany
VA Tech IT Security Office & Lab

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM, David Treble
<David.Treble () ad umanitoba ca>wrote:

   Sorry to resurrect this week old thread, but I finally got a hold of a
hard copy of a paper that was written for our Campus Police/Security
Services unit back in 2006.  This was an undergraduate paper written as
part of our Criminology field research program.

 Before this bit of research was done in 2006, we had about 125 cameras.
 We now have approximately 600 on both campuses.  To give you some idea on
size and scope, our downtown campus has 10 Buildings and the main suburban
campus has approximately 60 buildings on 580 acres.  We have about 28,000
full-time students.

 I broke out the Executive Summary.  The full version is 74 pages incl.
 appendices.  The paper is titled:

 University of Manitoba Perspectives of Closed Circuit Television
Surveillance:
Findings Concerning Effectiveness and Privacy Based on Survey and
Interview Research

http://www.umanitoba.ca/ist/security/media/UofM-Perspectives-CCTV-Surveillance-(Summary).pdf

http://www.umanitoba.ca/ist/security/media/UofM-Perspectives-CCTV-Surveillance-(Full).pdf

 DT