Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS Review - 40 Hours?

From: "Lorenz, Eva" <evalorenz () UNC EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:11:21 +0000

I agree that no solid review for PCIDSS can be done in a week. When I started on a PCIDSS review and focused just on
the high risk merchants (that completed SAQ-D), I scheduled 3 hours to meet initially with everyone of these merchants
and in several cases had follow-up meetings to go over workflow, environment and security controls.

These meetings alone took more than 2 weeks and I am not nearly done with the SAQ-D group and have not really started
on the other groups.

If you have done a PCI review previously and need to assess PCIDSS compliance on a focused area due to a recent change,
you can probably complete a very focus review in 40hours, but it will not cover all aspects of PCIDSS on the merchants
in your environment.

Eva Lorenz, Ph.D., J.D., ITILv3F
ITS Security
UNC Chapel Hill