Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cloud Discovery

From: Drew Perry <aperry () MURRAYSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:29:31 -0600

It really depends on the provider you choose and the SLA they provide with
respect to administrative access to email boxes. We migrated our email to a
Google Apps for Education solution a few years ago for all 30,000+ student,
faculty, and staff accounts. With Google, we did not have access to our
users' accounts for lit holds without a court order. However, they do have
a system in place for redirection of messages to a local archive. Our
current implementation redelivers all messages to our local archivers,
providing the retention and access we required for eDiscovery. It may not
be the solution you're looking for. But in our case, we knew we had to hold
the keys to the kingdom personally in that respect.

Drew Perry
Security Analyst
Murray State University
(270) 809-4414
aperry () murraystate edu

*P*  Save a tree. Please consider the environment before printing this
message.